Disposition of hepburn?

Frank Bennett biercenator at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 00:02:20 CET 2009

I have posted for the deprecation of "heploc", but I am unsure what to
do with "hepburn".  Were I to start the process again from scratch, I
would file for alalc97 only, and there would be no "hepburn" subtag.
However, "hepburn" potentially captures Japanese transliterations that
do not conform to the ALA-LC tables, so I am a little unsure of the
proper way forward.

While deprecating this subtag outright is no problem for my own
purposes, I am not sure whether that is the right thing to do.  I will
be guided by advice from the list membership; if members feel that
deprecation is appropriate in this case, I will be happy to file the
papers.