Request: Add retired tag "eml" to the IANA registry

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 11 18:17:22 CET 2009

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Phillips, Addison

> 1. Although I sincerely hope that retired codes are reserved forever,
> I'm not sure what happens with them. If ISO 639 can recycle the retired
> ones, that would create problems and we should not register the retired
> items so that they can eventually be used for something useful.

ISO 639-3 does not permit re-use. From clause 4.5.2:

To ensure continuity and stability, the identifier for any given language shall not be changed. On occasion,
given compelling reasons, a code element may become deprecated. When a code element is deprecated, the
identifier for that code element shall not be reassigned.
Deprecated code elements remain part of the code and retain their identifier and denotation. Continued use in
existing data or implementations remains a valid application of this standard. On-going generation of data
using a deprecated code element is generally discouraged, however.

Peter