Adding code equivalents

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Fri Dec 11 17:29:11 CET 2009

I agree that it would have been good to add the equivalents, not only for
those but for the others where possible. That is, when we see "eng-840" (and
these codes *do* occur in the wild), we can canonicalize to en-US. We are
doing that in CLDR, and I think it would have been productive to add to
BCP47.

However, it would take a revision to do that, which I doubt we are up for.
And while the Deprecated and Preferred Value does provide a mechanism that
does work, I suspect that people would probably like a different term than
Deprecated for such items, to indicate that they are not just not in
canonical form, but are actually invalid -- but that they can be turned into
valid by replacing by the preferred value.

Cf. http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/languageid.jsp?a=eng-840

Mark