A stake in the ground

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Dec 11 04:38:56 CET 2009

ISO639-3 at sil.org scripsit:

> How was the case of Estonian [et/est] (Standard Estonian [ekk] and Voro
> [vro]) handled earlier this year by this body?

We missed it, because it happened between November 2007, when we decided
what the list of specially-handled macrolanguages would be (though it was
much later that we decided whether to specially handle any!) and March
2009, when we requested that the Language Subtag Registry be bulk-updated.

> The change documentation in ISO 639-3 is located at
> http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/chg_detail.asp?id=2008-043

I looked through all the other promotions from individual language to
macrolanguage, and found only Kalenjin 'kln' and Luyia 'luy', neither
of which has been extensively used.

So, a second stake: add Standard Estonian 'ekk' and Voro 'vro' to the
extlang list.  "Need brooks no delay, yet late is better than never."

If you have ever wondered if you are in hell,         John Cowan
it has been said, then you are on a well-traveled     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
road of spiritual inquiry.  If you are absolutely     cowan at ccil.org
sure you are in hell, however, then you must be
on the Cross Bronx Expressway.          --Alan Feuer, NYTimes, 2002-09-20