A stake in the ground

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Dec 6 23:21:14 CET 2009

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

> I think that Latvian and Lithuanian probably do meet the criterion,
> that Blang and Low German probably don't, and that there isn't enough
> evidence for me to decide about Central Bontoc.  But I deny that that
> criterion binds this mailing list.

I would agree that it doesn't bind us, but I suggest that it should
guide us.  Alternatively, we need to be able to explain why "the
overwhelming majority of 'zh' is Mandarin" justifies extlangs while "the
overwhelming majority of 'lv' is Standard Latvian" doesn't.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­