Criteria for languages?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Dec 3 05:16:39 CET 2009

Randy Presuhn scripsit:

> How inclined are users of Latgalian to consider their language a
> variety of Latvian?

I'm willing to bet, sight unseen, that the question is extremely
controversial.

> FWIW, though I am a native speaker of (North Central) American English,
> I understand neither of those varieties reliably.

I'm always surprised when people say this.  Beyond vocubulary, I don't
have much problem with any accent of the standard dialect, though
varieties close to mine are certainly easier to understand in a noisy
channel or when the speaker is mumbling or murmuring.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org   http://ccil.org/~cowan
"The exception proves the rule."  Dimbulbs think: "Your counterexample proves