Criteria for languages?

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Tue Dec 1 18:54:10 CET 2009

I never got an answer as to the relevant difference between the Latvian case
and the Swiss German case that would cause one to be a macrolanguage, and
the other to be simply a split. Is this the key factor between them, that
MARC has been using lav for Latgalian, and it hasn't been using gsw for
Walliserdeutsch.

This would be a criterion that at least would be understandable.

Mark