PROPOSAL: Remove Deprecation on "sh" in the IANA subtag registry

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Aug 27 15:10:59 CEST 2009

We haven't had any discussion in two weeks on the proposal to
un-deprecate 'sh', but the latest proposal by Addison (with a new
Comments field) hasn't yet been posted in a single form-and-record
e-mail.

Addison suggested:

> Comment: For most modern uses, the subtags for languages enclosed by
>   this macrolanguage are usually preferred, cf. "sr" (Serbian), "hr"
>   (Croatian), "bs" (Bosnian).

and I wanted to propose something like this instead:

> Comments: sr, hr, bs are preferred for most modern uses

to avoid dragging "macrolanguage" into the picture and to avoid
repeating the names of other subtags (which may change).

I also asked (twice) for clarification on what difference it makes that
'sh' is a macrolanguage, or more precisely, corresponds to ISO 639-3
'hbs' which is a macrolanguage in that standard.  I still don't see what
being a macrolanguage has to do with being deprecated or not deprecated.
I withdraw any objections to removing the Deprecated field from this
subtag, but would like it to be for the right, defensible reason, such
as that the status of the code element in 639-3 is believed to supersede
that of 639-1.

http://www.ewellic.org