Adding variant subtags 'aluku' and 'nduyka' and 'pamaka' for dialects

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun Aug 23 22:46:09 CEST 2009

Kent Karlsson <kent dot karlsson14 at comhem dot se> wrote:

> But the suggested name is not given by Ethnologue at all.

It doesn't have to be.  Ethnologue isn't a normative reference to BCP
47.  We can add any additional Description fields we like, subject to
certain constraints like "no duplicates," although there is strong
pushback against *removing* names that provide a link between subtags
and ISO code elements.

> And given the example of Djuka/Ndjuka, I would not be surprised if
> (for instance) the presence/absence of h in Bushi/Busi also could make
> the switch between ok and derogative. I would tread very carefully.

I don't know enough about this language or these dialects to have an
opinion here.  I have assumed all along that Pascal Vaillant knows what
he is talking about.  He certainly sounds to me like he has done his
homework.

> I have seen seemingly reasonable subtags proposed to this list being
> turned down since they were considered derogatory by some.

Which ones?  I'm sure you can think of some, but they're not coming to
me right now.  I know we had significant debates about the two
Belarusian requests because one name or another was considered
derogatory, but we ended up registering both of them.

http://www.ewellic.org