Adding variant subtags 'aluku' and 'nduyka' and 'pamaka'fordialects

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Aug 23 19:35:38 CEST 2009

Michael Everson scripsit:

> In terms of nomenclature and minimization of effort I would be happier
> if the requester would deal with the ISO 639-3 matter first, and then
> return here to ask for the three dialect subtags after the ISO 639-3
> matter had been resolved.

I believe your preference is unreasonable.

The ISO 639-3 change cycle happens only once a year, takes approximately
five months, and the deadline for 2009 changes is nearly on us.  If the
requester is able to send in his change request (a rather more detailed
form than we ask for) within the next nine days, he will have to wait
until February 2010 to get the change -- that is, if the 639-3/RA is
minded to grant it.  If he is not able to drop everything else and do
that, then he will have to wait at least until February 2011.  Since the
overall situation (three dialects, one language) is not in dispute,
there is no reason to force him to wait 6, still less 18, months to get
his subtags, particularly on top of the 7-month delay he has already
had to bear.

Please reconsider.

--
A: "Spiro conjectures Ex-Lax."                  John Cowan