Adding variant subtags 'aluku' and 'nduyka' and 'pamaka' fordialects

Phillips, Addison addison at amazon.com
Fri Aug 21 05:23:10 CEST 2009

I sense brewing in the teapot, a tempest.

I completely agree that variants are likely to diverge from the "atomic meaning" that we typically maintain for subtags. Indeed a great deal of effort was expended in BCP 47 to try and prevent such things happening. At least in RFC-to-be-5646, you are not permitted to register a Description or Prefix that would cause a variant to broaden in that way (initial registration is not prohibited, though).

On the other hand, Peter also has a point. If you don't know what these tokens are or mean, it may not be clear to users what the point is of the subtag. The Comments field exists to spell out such things. There is no prohibition on using it to clarify the intention.

I support, Doug, your proposed shorter Description fields because they are suitably succinct. But I also support Peter's suggestion that we at least consider a comment spelling out what Aluku dialect and Boni dialect are--two names for a single dialect or sets of dialects. Indeed, the most recent record submitted to this list (and thus the thing we are actually discussing) appears to have this comment:

Comments: Aluku (sometimes called Boni), dialect of the "Busi Nenge
  Tongo" English-based Creole continuum in the Eastern Suriname and
  Western French Guiana

One thing that bothers me: the Description of 'djk' is "Aukan". Ethnologue, at least, doesn't mention "Busi Nenge Tongo", at least by that spelling (it does mention Aluku and Boni, though). I don't pretend to know what any of these language are, but it would probably make sense to use the same description here and in 'djk' or consider adding more Description fields to 'djk'

Thus, let me suggest that the record could be:

LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
File-Date: 2009-08-27
%%
Type: variant
Subtag: aluku
Added: 2009-08-27
Prefix: djk
Comments: Aluku (which is sometimes called Boni) is a specific dialect of
  Aukan (djk), also called "Busi Nenge Tongo", an English-based Creole
  continuum in eastern Suriname and western French Guiana.
%%

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.