Adding variant subtags 'aluku' and 'nduyka' and 'pamaka' for dialects

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Aug 20 05:25:48 CEST 2009

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> I have a small concern with Doug's revision: when people see

> will they understand that these are alternate names for the same
> dialect, or perceive these to be two different dialects? It might be
> helpful to keep something to the effect of "Aluku and Boni are
> alternate names" in the comment field. (Likewise for the other
> registrations.)

I don't know.  Do we have a similar problem with Dutch and Flemish, or
Spanish and Castilian, or Asturian and Bable and Leonese?

We currently have 218 subtags (179 language, 9 extlang, 23 script, 7
variant) that have two or more Description fields.  Many of the language
subtags are new with 4646bis, but many are not.  Many of the alternative
names are similar (Kikuyu/Gikuyu), but many are not (such as the ones
above).  All but one of the Slovenian/Resian variant subtags have two or
more Description fields.  I guess I'm not sure what is different about
'aluku' and 'nduyka'.

http://www.ewellic.org