Pinyin

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 17:03:35 CEST 2008

Hi, Randy, all!

This is not my area of expertise and I am happy enough with Michael Everson's proposal excluding Tongyong Pinyin since this solves the problem of distinguishing to two--this is the most convenient solution I guess
(whether or not it is the best grouping of the Pinyins I cannot say).

> To be used to indicate transcriptions, typically of Mandarin Chinese,
> approved by the Chinese government on February 11, 1958-02-11 and
> adopted by the International Organization for Standardization as an
> international standard in 1982.

Can we also mention here that in 2009 Hanyu Pinyin will also be the standard romanization in use in Taiwan?

(See:  http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2008/09/18/2003423528
we've been discussing this a bit)