LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R4) - Pinyin

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Sep 26 17:03:30 CEST 2008

(Private response)

> As far as I can tell, only you and John think this is a good idea.

The question of consensus is not "Who thinks this is a good idea?", but
rather "Who can't live with this?"  You are making noises like you can't
live with this extension of 'pinyin' to non-Chinese orthographies.  Is
that really true?  You will still have "zh-pinyin" and "zh-Latin-pinyin"
that mean what you want them to mean.

> Having looked at some of the other romanizations, I see little real
> commonality in the systems to the point where "pinyin" would be
> usefully, and not misleadingly, applied to them.

Evidently this is a matter of judgment, and the rule is that (short of an
appeal, which will be *very* time-consuming) Michael's judgment prevails.
Michael is (a) stubborn and (b) doesn't have a deadline.

Bottom line:

If you want a tag approved quickly, I recommend living with this.
On the other hand, if you want to pull a General Grant ("I propose to
fight it out on this line if it takes all summer"), I can't stop you.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Thor Heyerdahl recounts his attempt to prove Rudyard Kipling's theory