Pinyin

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 25 22:27:35 CEST 2008

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Randy Presuhn

>> B. Register "pinyin" with a broader scope, and register one or more variants to
>> support differentiating the various orthographies.
>
> I can see how this could be made to work, but do not see any value to
> doing it this way.  Our job is not to provide a hierarchical taxonomy of
> orthographies.  WHAT IS THE USE CASE???

I agree.

In a sense, specifying a prefix of *-Latn might be seen as a type of taxonomic hierarchy, which is true. (Same for the various tags for Resian variants.) But we don't do that because we thing everything should be done in a hierarchical manner; we do that because it supports particular use cases.

Peter