Peter Constable petercon at
Wed Sep 24 05:53:51 CEST 2008

From: ietf-languages-bounces at [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

> At this point I consider any of the alternatives to 1959acad
> to be inadequate, precisely because they refer solely to an
> institution rather than to an orthography.

This is a fallacious argument. If you go back to Mark's original request form for "acade", submitted on 2008-8-25, I think you'll find the intent was to refer to an orthography, not an institution -- indeed, there's no reference to a particular institution:

3. Record Requested:

Type: variant
Subtag: acade
Prefix: be

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

To distinguish the "academic" (or "governmental") variant from the other forms of "be" (Belarusian). Currently, that is not possible to do, since "be" includes all varieties of Belarusian, including tarask ("classical").