LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R4): pinyin

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 24 05:53:51 CEST 2008

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

> At this point I consider any of the alternatives to 1959acad
> to be inadequate, precisely because they refer solely to an
> institution rather than to an orthography.

This is a fallacious argument. If you go back to Mark's original request form for "acade", submitted on 2008-8-25, I think you'll find the intent was to refer to an orthography, not an institution -- indeed, there's no reference to a particular institution:

3. Record Requested:

Type: variant
Subtag: acade
Prefix: be

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

To distinguish the "academic" (or "governmental") variant from the other forms of "be" (Belarusian). Currently, that is not possible to do, since "be" includes all varieties of Belarusian, including tarask ("classical").

Peter