LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R4): pinyin

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 24 05:20:37 CEST 2008

From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

>> When you requested registration for fonipa, why was
>> it not fipa1886, or fipa1989, or fipa2005?
>
> What? Mark, come on. The IPA doesn't specify *any*
> orthography. This is a complete red herring.

It doesn't seem that way to me: the IPA specifies recommendations for phonemic transcription, and those recommendations have changed over time, with identifiable dates. The reason why the widely-used SIL IPA93 fonts were named "IPA93" was because they supported the 1993 revisions to the IPA recommendations.

But that doesn't make "fonipa" less useful.

Peter