be-something (was: Re: LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R4): pinyin)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Sep 24 02:29:32 CEST 2008

"Phillips, Addison" <addison at amazon dot com> wrote:

> AP> What would be best would be a subtag that conveys the meaning in
> some distinctly local way. Alas, it seems that the obvious candidate
> is a pejorative term. Is there no other term than ?academic? for this
> orthography?

Ah, but that's the problem: there isn't.  If only there were a
convenient, widely recognized term for this orthography -- something
like "narkamauka," but without the unacceptable negative connotation --
this matter would have been settled long ago.  I doubt the whole
distracting question of whether to encode the orthography as a concept,
versus specific year-based revisions of it, would have even crossed
anyone's mind.

On the other hand, "pinyin" -- by itself, not qualified with any other
term such as "Tongyong" -- does seem to have a clearly defined meaning
in language-tagging circles, and we still can't agree to register it
with that specific meaning.

http://www.ewellic.org