Really OT: internationalized email addresses (Was: french orthography (Was: BCP47 Appeals process)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Sep 23 15:52:33 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 08:49:54AM -0700,
 Mark Crispin <markrcrispin at live.com> wrote
 a message of 15 lines which said:

> RFC 5335 is a terrible mistake, and one which is going to haunt its
> proponents for many years to come.
>
> There is a class of identifiers in which universal literacy is of far
> greater value than localization.

Well, there is no such thing as "universal literacy" unless we decide
that a given script is mandatory to learn for everyone on earth.

Most people agree that there should be such a script and that it
should be the one they learned :-)

RFC 2277 won't help here: it states that protocol elements should not
be internationalized and that text intended for human readers
should. But identifiers (domain names, email addresses) are both.