LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R4): pinyin

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 19:18:30 CEST 2008

Tracey, Niall wrote:

> [...]

Please, please, all people mentioning it -- forget about "1933"!
This is *effectively unrelated* to the issue at hand and has drifted
here from *my* request for clearing things up at *CLDR* -- after the
maintainers there effectively declined restricting the Belarusian
dataset to the "standard" literary norm, I requested separating the
content into the *two generic* branches. The background info which was
repeated verbatimly by Mark in his request, and that's how the "1933"
got into that (it was the first norm approved by the academy, BTW). I
think, too, this is why Mark is pushing so for the *generic* subtag. It
remains to be explained why Mark keeps requesting obviously silly names
for the subtag (acade, akadem etc.), is somebody facetious whispering in
his ear?

And yes, for the serious use (like in the registry tagging texts in the
scholarly fashion) I'd advise assuming /be/ equals /be-academic/, but it
became clear early on that this will not happen.

-Yury