pinyin (and wadegile) request has gotten derailed

Peter Constable petercon at
Wed Sep 17 23:53:47 CEST 2008

Not good? It seems reasonable enough to me: Mark asked for A and is being offered B which covers A but also covers other things without differentiating A.

From: ietf-languages-bounces at [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at] On Behalf Of Michael Everson
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:58 AM
To: ietflang IETF Languages Discussion
Subject: Re: pinyin (and wadegile) request has gotten derailed

On 17 Sep 2008, at 00:33, Phillips, Addison wrote:

I note that Mark has requested a subtag for explicitly Hanyu Pinyin and not for any other kind of Pinyin. While it is possible for Hanyu (other) pinyin's to be included into a single subtag, I can't tell if that would meet Mark's requirements or not. I would be very astonished and not all that well served if I were to request a subtag 'twain' [to identify the dialect usage of writer Mark Twain] and got instead '1880' [to identify dialectical usages of late-19th-Century American writers] instead.

Yeah, this is the second time you mentioned this analogy, but it is not a good one.

Michael Everson *<>