Pending business

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Sep 15 16:57:48 CEST 2008

On 15 Sep 2008, at 13:26, Tracey, Niall wrote:

> There appears to be a majority view in favour of a zh-Latn prefix
> for Hanyu (although there isn't a consensus on the tag itself, which
> I think can be logically assumed to be a consensus in favour of the
> same thing for Wade-Giles.

I find it hard to discount the minority view. People like John keep
saying "People will tag zh-pinyin even if zh-Latn is "the" prefix in
the registration.

How many prefixes can be in the registration?

> Let's make the choice on Latn/no script and make it formal by
> putting through wadegile in one form or another, agreeing that we're
> not going to do it differently for Hanyu, then we can let the Hanyu
> debate focus purely on the semantics of "pinyin".

Semantics is a problem throughout however, given zh-cmn. Having said
that, are we ending up with zh-cmn-Latn-pinyin or zh-cmn-pinyin?