John Cowan cowan at
Tue Sep 9 18:46:48 CEST 2008

CE Whitehead scripsit:

> I agree with Frank that what is important is somehow
> telling the search engines and such that this is [latn] script.

Search engines (a) ignore language tags anyhow, and (b) don't need to
be told what script something is in.  Script subtags are mostly for
non-electronic documents and use in locales and such.

> One solution is a [supress-script] for variants--although that will
> not take care of the problem that you can combine both [fonipa] and
> [pinyin] into a single tag.

Right.  And we can't maintain the Suppress-Script: fields we have.

The Unicode Standard does not encode            John Cowan
idiosyncratic, personal, novel, or private
use characters, nor does it encode logos
or graphics.                                    cowan at