LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R3): pinyin

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Sep 9 07:37:38 CEST 2008

>> What is really needed is an extension registry for
>> this zoo (fonipa, fonupa, pinyin, ...), but as long
>> as nobody creates it, and as long as this ugly hole
>> in RFC 4646 permits such "generic variant" kludges,
>> go for it.
>
> The question of whether to assign "zh" or "zh-Latn" as the Prefix for
> 'pinyin' has NOTHING to do with generic variants.  Where did that come
> from?  Nobody has seriously proposed making 'pinyin' a generic variant
> like 'fonipa'.  At most they have suggested that a small set of
> languages be added as multiple Prefix fields.

I apologize to Frank for this reaction.  I did not realize that Michael
had proposed to register 'pinyin' as a generic variant, and I agree that
it should not be one, though ultimately it is Michael's call.

I still maintain that the "generic variant" model is appropriate for
variants that can truly apply to any language, such as IPA, and is not a
bug.

http://www.ewellic.org