LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R3): pinyin

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Sep 9 04:37:55 CEST 2008

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> The question of whether to assign "zh" or "zh-Latn" as the Prefix for
> 'pinyin' has NOTHING to do with generic variants.  Where did that come
> from?  Nobody has seriously proposed making 'pinyin' a generic variant
> like 'fonipa'.  At most they have suggested that a small set of
> languages be added as multiple Prefix fields.

On the contrary, that is exactly what Michael has proposed: making the
subtag 'pinyin' mean 'any romanization called pin1yin1 in Chinese, except
for wei1tuo3ma3 pin1yin1, otherwise known as Wade-Giles romanization.

I think this proposal is totally wrong-headed, to be sure.

--
Only do what only you can do.               John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
  --Edsger W. Dijkstra's advice