ON LANGUAGE NAMES /// RE: Results of Duplicate Busters Survey #2

Lang Gérard gerard.lang at insee.fr
Mon Sep 8 11:53:42 CEST 2008

I certainly cannot share this point of view.
Autonyms ( written directly with a variant of the Latin alphabet in their native script, or taken as romanized form of an autonym whose native script is not a variant of the Latin alphabet, or taken as an IPA phonetisation of the language name when the considering language has no script and is only a spoken language) are very certainly much more specific and identifying of the considered language name (because they are, in particular, the definitive proof for the existence and for the autonomy [also, of the self-denomination, "auto-nomination"] of the considered language) that possible french or english language names for the same languages.
So, the consideration of autonyms gives a considerable separation and identification power for language names and the underlying language, that cannot be acheived by the approximation deriving from a french or english designation of the same entities.
The case that two autonyms could be identifiying the same language name, and the same underlying language, is certainly very infrequent and should be considered with many precautions.
Are you definitively certain that the native phonetisations of both Ainu variants you consider as two distinct language names are different ? If then, maybe the romanization of the chinese version could be changed as not to be identical with the japanese autonym.
Cordialement.
Gérard LANG