LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R3): pinyin

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Sep 4 10:42:58 CEST 2008

On 4 Sep 2008, at 01:21, Peter Constable wrote:

> As you say, he may reject something based on a single *compelling*
> opinion, and that may happen to be his own; but IMO he must use that
> veto ability very carefully so as to avoid conflict of interest: if
> indeed he alone voices an objecting opinion against several others
> on the list, it would need to be compelling indeed! The issue he
> raises in this case is, IMO, far from compelling.

The issue? Peter, please be clear when you write. Which issue? "The
issue" I raised is that "pinyin" and "wadegile" are by default Latin
because there are no other possiblities of interpretation. Is that
"the issue" to which you refer? Because I don't believe you have
demonstrated that what I have said is incorrect. Nor have you
demonstrated how your position (that "Latn" must be included) is
"compelling".