acade - LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 19:17:27 CEST 2008

Hi!

Persons who write/read this particularity variety of Belarussian will just have to think of a name for the subtag for any new standard--if one arises (of course, if there are going to be many standards . . . that could result in a lot of subtags . . . but this subtag could be later deprecated if it seems neater to have a single subtag identifying this variant and then secondary variant subtags identifying the particular standard/year)

If persons who read/write Belarussian decide that they prefer [akadem] or [akademy] or [academy] then that is fine with me too.

--C. E. Whitehead

From: "Tracey, Niall"

> CE Whitehead

>>  there are also
>> precedents for doing things Yuri's way (adding two varieties,
>> be-1959acad and be-2010acad (the 16th-17th century French subtags,
>> 1694acad and 1606nict--the latter being troubling because it is so
>> cryptic when in school I always learned 16eme siecle 17eme siecle,
>> but . . . )

> I don't see those as valid precedents, as those tags describe
> historical varieties.  As they were never current during the
> lifespan of the standard, we didn't encounter the problem of
> the nominal norm changing overnight.

Persons who write/read this particularity variety of Belarussian will just have to think of a name for the subtag for any new standard--if one arises (of course, if there are going to be many standards . . . that could result in a lot of subtags . . . but this subtag could be later deprecated if it seems neater to have a single subtag identifying this variant and then secondary variant subtags identifying the particular standard/year)

(I just do not want to impose a subtag 'from above' if possible--I want something that everyone who uses the language is happy with because they are the people who will have to tag their texts with it; the only other 'concerned parties' are the programs/applications that will search and serve for documents, and whichever subtag is chosen, the latter should manage.

I personally like [akadem] or [akademy] or [academy] but I really do not expect to be using this subtag that much, so it does not matter that much what I like.  So I'd like to hear again from the Belarussian speakers on this)

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com