LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM (R5r3): pinyin

Randy Presuhn randy_presuhn at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 16 04:26:40 CEST 2008

Hi -

Are these "salient features" true of all the other pinyins for which
this subtag will eventually be used?  If yes, then there's no need for
"as applied to Mandarin Chinese".  If not, then this is not helpful
information.

> The subtag zh-Latn-pinyin refers to the
> Hanyu Pinyin romanization of Mandarin Chinese. The subtag bo-Latn-
> pinyin refers to the Tibetan Pinyin romanization of Tibetan.

Any particular dialect of Tibetan?  Wikipedia makes it sound like
there are substantial differences.  I don't know any native Tibetan
speakers, so I can't confirm or deny.

> 5. Reference to published description of the language (book or article):

Is the intent that references will be provided for languages other
than Mandarin and Tibetan?  If not, is "approved by the Chinese government"
the factor used to decide which of competing romanizations should be
designated "pinyin"?  (Then perhaps "prcroman" might make sense.  :-)

Randy