[Ltru] Ltru Digest, Vol 44, Issue 15

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 3 17:15:04 CEST 2008

Hi, Are you saying that "langage" is a better French translation of "languages" in "Codes for the representation of names of languages" than is "langue"?  Or what?

(I do think it's possible to translate "sign language" as
"langue des signes"
Is this correct?)

However, "le tresor de la langue francaise" online (http://atilf.atilf.fr/tlf.htm) seems to largely agree with your definition of "langue" -- as something pertaining to the "tongue" or to things that remind one of a "tongue" (such as a "the tongue of a flame")

Best,

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com

Lang Gérard gerard.lang at insee.fr