Questions on ISO 639-3

Phillips, Addison addison at
Tue Nov 25 20:52:57 CET 2008

The difference between “Moldavian” and “Romanian” can be accounted for using a region subtag (since Moldova and Romania were both countries last time I looked). The use of a region subtag does not imply that the language thus referred to stops exactly where the international frontier is currently located. There is no need to invent variants.

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.

From: ietf-languages-bounces at [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at] On Behalf Of CE Whitehead
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:26 AM
To: ietf-languages at
Subject: Questions on ISO 639-3

I think what Kent is saying here has some merit; but for Moldavian, it seems that if someone wants to identify the differences between spoken Moldavian and Romanian, a variant subtag would be an option. . . & that's all this list can offer, too, in this matter (as far as I understand things).   There is no need to identify the written differences.

C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at<mailto:cewcathar at>
Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at
Sat Nov 22 10:54:39 CET 2008

> Den 2008-11-22 04.53, skrev "Peter Constable" <petercon at>:

>> (A purist solution, linguistically, would have been to deem Akan as an
>> individual language and deem the others as dialects, hence out of scope and
>> worthy of deprecation. That seemed a bit drastic, however.)
> Given the recent history with Moldavian in ISO 639, doing what you suggest
> here does not seem to be too drastic.
        /kent k