ISO 639 JAC decision re mo/mol

Lang Gérard gerard.lang at insee.fr
Mon Nov 3 15:58:10 CET 2008

Dear All,
I completely agree with Doug's surprise !
Moreover, the alpha-2 ISO 639 code element "mo" for the language name "moldavian" was created with the publication of  ISO 639 (1988), and the alpha-3 ISO 639-2 code element "mol" for the same language name was created with the publication of ISO 639-2 (1998).
Between this time, Moldova became an independant state, and the Constitution adopted on 29 july 2004 states that:
"The language of the State of the Republic of Moldova is the moldovan language, written with the Latin script".
How is it possible that this language name, that passed all criteria to be recognized inside ISO 639[-1] and ISO 639-2 during 20 or 10 years, has now to be deprecated ?
Bien cordialement.
Gérard LANG