ID for language-invariant strings

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Mon Mar 17 22:25:05 CET 2008

The "zxx" tag started with my query into how I should classify the "audio
content" of a silent film in a system designed to serve non-silent films
where a language code is required. Peter suggested "zxx = no linguistic
content" and registered it.

I felt that it might be better to use the industry terminology "silent"
and employ a free tag in the "Q" space of ISO 639-2. While there was "no
linguistic content" on that audio channel, there was certainly a plot that
could be determined from watching the film even if the title cards were
removed (a "title card" is an interstitial used to display the text in a
silent film). To describe our wonderful heritage of silent films as having
no linguistic content just seemed a bit cruel. I was willing to go with
"not applicable" but could not recommend the use of "zxx = no linguistic
content" for this purpose.

When it was later suggested that "zxx" should be used to mark up code
fragments appearing in a tutorial written in English, I was even more
opposed to the "non-linguistic" semantic. I wasn't the only one who
complained that code -- especially in the context of a technical tutorial
-- is primarily meant to be read by humans, not machines. An assistive
device such as a Braille screenreader would  want to represent that text
as language, not skip over it because it's non-linguistic in nature.
Binary junk data is the only thing I can think of that is truly
non-linguistic.

Any chance we could broaden the semantic of the "zxx" tag? I still think
we did the wrong thing here and the "non-applicable" tag is more
appropriate for all the use cases mentioned.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2007AprJun/0187.html
-- one previous post on the topic

Side note: I find the IETF archives very hard to search or I could have
produced a better example. Am I missing a search interface somewhere?
(Reply offlist.)

Regards,

Karen Broome