ID for language-invariant strings

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Mar 15 19:33:46 CET 2008

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>>+1  A recipe for taggers trying to get pesonal names right as noted by
>>Nall (fr / zxx Pierre Desjardins) would help.  Michael's example
>>Everson Mono goes in a similar direction.
>
> Except that I, helpfully, provide this:
> http://www.evertype.com/misc/michael/nomen.html

Except that none of these, other than the Chinese examples, are actually
translations of Michael's name into other languages.  They are
transcriptions, with a few phonetic changes necessary to accommodate the
target script.  None of them (except Chinese) is comparable to
translating "Pierre Desjardins" to "Peter Gardener."

http://www.ewellic.org