ID for language-invariant strings

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Mar 14 23:40:44 CET 2008

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com scripsit:

> Perhaps slightly off-topic, but while you aren't likely to localize names
> in English, you should see all the things they'd do to poor Pierre
> Desjardins in Czech. Names are "translated" in that language to include
> various grammatical suffixes depending on how the name is used in the
> sentence.

That's true of most languages with inflections, and even English with
its impoverished inflectional system doesn't hesitate to add the native
plural ending to foreign names: Mr. and Mrs. Mickiewicz and the little
Mickiewiczes, for example.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
And now here I was, in a country where a right to say how the country should