ID for language-invariant strings

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Mar 14 18:48:02 CET 2008

Mark Davis scripsit:

> Peter, the example really helps. I agree with you that zxx seems
> inappropriate, since your example is linguistic content, but just intended
> to be as neutral as possible regarding language. But I also agree with John
> about the creeping featurism.
>
> I don't know why 'und' wouldn't work for you. It signifies an undetermined /
> indeterminate language,

I don't see what's undefined or indeterminate about the language of
reference names.  The reference name "English" for the language tagged
'en' or 'eng' is English by origin and non-linguistic by use.

--
Is not a patron, my Lord [Chesterfield],        John Cowan
one who looks with unconcern on a man           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
struggling for life in the water, and when      cowan at ccil.org
he has reached ground encumbers him with help?
        --Samuel Johnson