ID for language-invariant strings

Tracey, Niall niall.tracey at logica.com
Fri Mar 14 16:58:27 CET 2008

Hello,

I've been lurking for a while and I thought I'd stick my head above the parapet with a quick observation.

I think this question has gone too deep into the technicalities without first considering a simpler, everyday example of the problem at hand. In that spirit, I'd like to pose the following question.

Would you tag the personal name "Pierre Desjardins" as French?
While it is clearly French in origin, you're not likely to translate it to "Peter Gardener" if localising a document to English.

A personal name, therefore, is simultaneously language-invariant and language specific, just as the font names are in Peter's system.

What's the rule for personal names?
If there isn't one, isn't that a question that needs to be answered before dealing with specific cases like font names?

Now I'll go back to lurking.

Níall.
Opinions expressed in this email do not reflect the official policies of Logica.