ID for language-invariant strings

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Mar 14 15:58:44 CET 2008

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> Your list does not include my solutions, which seems to have been
> ignored:
>
> x-neutral ? x-ident ?

Peter, like most people, had expressed a desire to avoid private-use
tags:  "I could make up a private-use ID, but given that this is
probably not an isolated case for needing this, it seems to me to make
sense to ask first if there shouldn't be a conventional recommendation
in the LTR."

A private-use tag like "x-ident" (or even "x-id") would probably be more
precise for Peter's purpose than one of the subtags or tags in the LSR,
none of which has exactly the meaning he wants to convey.  But a PU tag
only has meaning within the private agreement (which of course can be
publicized widely, just not in the LSR) and Peter may feel this is not
formal enough.

http://www.ewellic.org