[gnso.secretariat@gnso.icann.org: ICANN Draft Translation Programmeopen for public comment]

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 2 23:47:26 CET 2008

on behalf of Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer at nic.fr):> Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de> wrote:>> Just propose RFC 4646 language tags if you think it is important,>> there is a public comment forum.> Done at> http://forum.icann.org/lists/translation-programme/msg00006.htmlHi, Sorry for my last email in which I suggested ICANN might do w/out mentioning RFC 4646; Stephane and Peter are right;BCP 47/RFC 4646 can't be gotten around-- although I really do not see that there will be much need for scripts to be identified--except forKorean--as the default script should generally serve for ICANN's purposes, with its choice of languages. (Unless ICANN at some point down the road decides to publish documents used in or interpretations from meetings in the language of the host country--then, in some host countries. there might be a need to identify a script. However even choosing to tag a document as simply as possible is part of BCP 47.) --C. E. Whiteheadcewcathar at hotmail.com
From: cewcathar at hotmail.com>> From: nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de>> Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 10:49:54 +0100>> Subject: Re: [gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org: ICANN Draft Translation Programmeopen for public comment]>>>> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:>> >>> Since this draft document, open to comments, talks a lot about>>> human languages, I feel it is relevant here.>> >>> Do note that the plan for language identifiers, in the current>>> version, is ISO 639 (with just ISO 3166 country codes), not BCP 47 :-(>> >> Apparently they use locale indentifiers. After a somewhat obscure >> procedure they arrived at 11 languages for most of their purposes,>> likely they don't need RFC 4646 tags for this job. > Possibly no.Sorry, my error;  they do need to have a tag, regardless, even if the tag has only one or two subtags in it.--C. E. Whiteheadcewcathar at hotmail.com