LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM: pinyin

Phillips, Addison addison at amazon.com
Thu Jul 31 21:41:44 CEST 2008

Note: we can have both Prefixes. Variants are allowed to have multiples.

I think requiring the use of the 'Latn' subtag goes against the spirit of one of the language tagging maxims, which is: only use a subtag if it adds information. In fact, I think that the 'Latn' subtag adds no information to 'pinyin' or, for that matter, 'fonipa'. We shouldn't try to use the registry to enforce the exact tag for every situation.

On the other hand, suggesting the use of prefix "zh-Latn" in the registry does make clear(er) that probably a tag like "zh-Hant-HK-pinyin" has something wrong with it. So: both prefixes?

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.