Duplicate Busters: Survey #1 [bwo] and [bxx]

ISO639-3 at sil.org ISO639-3 at sil.org
Thu Jul 31 18:04:43 CEST 2008

I agree that [bwo] and [bxx] are not duplicates in the same sense as the
Awa and Murik cases.

Accepting this situation as it stands:
[bwo] Boro (reference name), Borna (additional name)
[bxx] Borna (reference name)

is also my basis for suggesting the resolution for [aru] and [arx]  as
[aru] Arawá (reference name), Aruá (additional name)
[arx] Aruá (reference name)

In other words, can the same name be used with two different code elements
without further qualification if they are not  the reference names in both
instances?
(This is actually a question for the ISO 639 JAC, but I would like
comments from these groups, as well, as there is some crossover.)

Joan Spanne
ISO 639-3/RA
SIL International
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd
Dallas, TX 75236
ISO639-3 at sil.org

"Frank Ellermann" <nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no
Please respond to
Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz at gmail.com>

ietf-languages at alvestrand.no
cc

Subject
Re: Duplicate Busters: Survey #1

The last case (Borna) is arguably no real dupe, bwo is also
known as Boro, bbx is only known as Borna.

Survey #1, are there coming more ?

 Frank

"Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no

"LTRU Working Group" <ltru at ietf.org>, <ietf-languages at iana.org>
cc

Subject
Duplicate Busters: Survey #1

===

Type: language
Subtag: bwo
--> REPLACE WITH: Description: Borna (Ethiopia)
Added: 2029-09-09

Type: language
Subtag: bxx
--> REPLACE WITH: Description: Borna (Democratic Republic of Congo)
Added: 2029-09-09

Regions are as listed in Ethnologue.  The form "Democratic Republic of
Congo" (without "the") is consistent with that used with other languages
in ISO 639-3.  The 639-3 code element 'bwo' is currently the subject of
a change request, to change the name "Boro" to "Boro (Ethiopia)" in
anticipation of another Boro being added, thereby confirming that we are
headed down the right path with this renaming effort.

===