Principles of Operation

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Thu Jan 24 02:16:09 CET 2008

Ethnologue is ambiguous. It lists this dialect name under two codes -- one
of them is "deu" which is labeled Standard German and is mapped to the ISO
639-1 code "de". I don't know if this is like the issue of two languages
named "Flemish" or if these entries are describing unique regional
entities (it does seem that the regions are different).  If Ethnologue
indicates that this is a dialect of Standard German AND Upper Saxony, is
the burden on Thomas to prove that this is a dialect of "de" or is the
burden of proof on others to say this is not "de" but "sxu"?

Do we need Ethnologue to clarify or is Ethnologue not considered the
authority -- yet?  The actual Erzgebirge Mountains are in the region
described in the SIL Standard German description, though Thomas may be
thinking of this dialect as occurring over a wider geographic range than
SIL.

Regards,

Karen Broome

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no
01/23/2008 04:41 PM

"ietf-languages at alvestrand.no" <ietf-languages at alvestrand.no>
cc

Subject
RE: Principles of Operation

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Frank Ellermann

> > Let's decide whether the correct prefix language is "sxu"
>
> Well, it's not because "sxu" doesn't exist *now*.

In the sense you are meaning -- intentionally ignoring the sense Doug
meant -- the only candidate prefix in the registry now is "gem". "de" is
*not* a candidate prefix unless it can be demonstrated that Erzgebirgisch
is, in fact, best considered a dialect of Standard German.

Peter