LANGUAGE SUBTAG REQUEST FORM, Erzgebirgisch

Doug Ewell dewell at roadrunner.com
Wed Jan 23 06:46:37 CET 2008

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> replied to Caoimhin O
Donnaile:

>> it looks as if "sxu" might be a more appropriate prefix than "de".
>
> We may have a problem which is similar with the one encountered with
> alsatian: a lot of people use "de" not for the specific Standard
> German language, but as a macrolanguage (even if it is not classified
> as such in ISO 639-3) for all germanic languages.

There's not much we can do about it if they do.  639-3 doesn't list "de"
as a macrolanguage, and the Registry in the 4646bis era won't include
any subtags with a Macrolanguage: value of "de".

In fact, the online version of Ethnologue, which claims to be the 15th
Edition, states clearly that Erzgebirgisch is considered a dialect of
Upper Saxon, not German:

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=sxu

http://www.ewellic.org