Addition request: alsatian

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Fri Jan 11 19:19:34 CET 2008

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo dash inc dot com> wrote:

> One resolution to the conundrum of Karen's request would be:

> Now: insert a comment into the 'gsw' record like this:
>
> Comment: This language is also use in the Alsace region of France,
> where it is referred to as Alsatian.
>
> Later, if ISO acts in a manner consistent with changing the
> description, add a Description field saying 'Alsatian' and remove the
> comment.<snip>
>
> If, for some reason, Alsatian turns out to be a regional dialect of
> 'gsw' and if evidence is presented here that "gsw-FR" is insufficient
> to represent that dialect, register Stephane's variant (and remove the
> comment).

I fully support Addison's proposal as outlined above. I note that there
are a vast number of names for this language. I don't intend to open the
floodgates for every variation on the spelling of this language, but I
think these three are warranted to provide the best clarification for
those reading ISO 639-3. I will let you know when I get an answer from
SIL.

Regards,

Karen Broome