Addition request: alsatian

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Thu Jan 10 20:28:48 CET 2008

One difference between the Valencian variant tag and Alsatian is that the
region of Valencia could not be indicated with an ISO 3166 country code.
France can be represented by one of these codes.

As far as a significant amount of new content becoming available on the
web in various dialects of gsw, I'd say this is more unlikely with written
content. However, video (spoken) content may merit this tag separately
from any tag that appears on the HTML page level, which may very well be
in standard German. Video content is increasing.

Regards,

Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer
Sony Pictures Entertainment
310.244.4384

"Mark Davis" <mark.davis at icu-project.org>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no
01/10/2008 09:23 AM

"Stephane Bortzmeyer" <bortzmeyer at nic.fr>
cc
"ietf-languages at alvestrand.no" <ietf-languages at alvestrand.no>
Subject
Re: Addition request: alsatian

On Jan 10, 2008 6:19 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 05:02:59PM -0800,
 Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com> wrote
 a message of 18 lines which said:

> *why* Alsatian content needs to be tagged separately from gsw.

Because it is a distinct dialect (see the references I gave), in the
same way that valencian is a dialect of catalan and so deserved a
Variant subtag.

You need to describe what other variants of Alemanic would be referenced
by de-FR. If there aren't any, then de-FR is sufficient.

A second issue is that Alsatian speakers do not think of themselves as
speaking "Alemannic" and that the idea of using gsw alone may be
difficult to "sell" to these people.

We are tagging languages, not names of languages. The fact that some
people call a language, dialect, or variant by a different name doesn't
justify having a variant subtag.

> Do you anticipate Web pages with distinct content for Alsatian than
> other gsw?

Yes, although I must say there are very rare now.