Addition request: alsatian

Mark Davis mark.davis at icu-project.org
Thu Jan 10 18:23:30 CET 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 6:19 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 05:02:59PM -0800,
>  Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com> wrote
>  a message of 18 lines which said:
>
> > *why* Alsatian content needs to be tagged separately from gsw.
>
> Because it is a distinct dialect (see the references I gave), in the
> same way that valencian is a dialect of catalan and so deserved a
> Variant subtag.

You need to describe what *other* variants of Alemanic would be referenced
by de-FR. If there aren't any, then de-FR is sufficient.

> A second issue is that Alsatian speakers do not think of themselves as
> speaking "Alemannic" and that the idea of using gsw alone may be
> difficult to "sell" to these people.

We are tagging languages, not names of languages. The fact that some people
call a language, dialect, or variant by a different name doesn't justify
having a variant subtag.

> > Do you anticipate Web pages with distinct content for Alsatian than
> > other gsw?
>
> Yes, although I must say there are very rare now.

Mark