Alsatian answer from LOC

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Feb 24 01:04:39 CET 2008

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> While I can't speak about "Schwyzerdütsch" or "Alemannic" in this
> regard, this is absolutely true about the name "Castilian."

Or rather "Castellano".

> Residents of Spain do use the name "Castilian" to refer to the language
> "es" in general, partly to avoid confusion; but for the other 90% of
> Spanish speakers around the world, "Castilian" specifically refers to
> es-ES as contrasted with es-419, es-US, or es-AnywhereElse.

Actually, it's much more complicated than that:  see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_given_to_the_Spanish_language#Usage_and_implications_in_former_colonies .

In addition, "Castellano" in Spain refers both to the standard language
and to the specific dialect of Castile.

John Cowan        http://ccil.org/~cowan   cowan at ccil.org
Lope de Vega: "It wonders me I can speak at all.  Some caitiff rogue did
rudely yerk me on the knob, wherefrom my wits still wander."
An Englishman: "Ay, a filchman to the nab betimes 'll leave a man
crank for a spell." --Harry Turtledove, Ruled Britannia