Alsatian answer from LOC

Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com Karen_Broome at spe.sony.com
Sat Feb 23 00:36:05 CET 2008

I did send on an additional note with a URL to the Ethnologue site,
particularly drawing their attention to the comments field at the top of
the entry. But as you note, this was already on the application I
submitted and doesn't seem to be considered "reputable." While we're still
finding errors in Ethnologue, I haven't seen anything that addresses the
same subject as completely as it does. If there is something better out
there, I haven't seen it.

Regards,

Karen Broome

"Frank Ellermann" <nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de>
Sent by: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no
02/22/2008 03:06 PM
Please respond to
Frank Ellermann <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz at gmail.com>

ietf-languages at alvestrand.no
cc

Subject
Re: Alsatian answer from LOC

Karen Broome wrote:

> For what it's worth.... Read entire thread.

Hm.

 [Rebecca S. Guenther wrote:]
>| But if some may consider "Alsatian" to be an alternate name by
>| which they refer to the language coded as "gsw", then we would
>| add it. We are not certain that indeed this is the case, so
>| would ask that you give evidence that "Alsatian" is used by
>| some group of people as a language name rather than the name
>| of a dialect within that language.

>| If you could provide a citation from a reputable source that
>| states that indeed this is the case, we can add it as an
>| alternate name.

A challenge.  I found a reputable source cited by the DGLFLF on
http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/dglf/lgfrance/lgfrance_archives.htm
mentioning "dialecte allemand d'Alsace et de Moselle" on
http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/dglf/lang-reg/rapport_cerquiglini/langues-france.html

That would de-FR-alsacien instead of gsw-FR, therefore it's not
what we want.  Why do the ISO 639-2 folks reject ISO 639-3 info
as second reputable source ?

 Frank