Proposed modified records for 'cpe' and 'son'

CE Whitehead cewcathar at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 31 17:11:08 CET 2008

Whatever you do is fine, so long as you have backwards compatibility (that is, 'cpe-Latn' will be backwards compatible with 'cpe' ??  I should know whether it will be backwards compatible or not by now).

However I do note that many English dialects are unwritten but if content in these were to be tagged, the suppress-script would still be Latin (& thus unwritten content would have to be tagged 'Zxxx' I think).

So it's still to my mind possible to have a suppress-script for collections if there's a real reason--in the same way that we have suppress-scripts for languages that include dialects.  Otherwise go ahead.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar at hotmail.com> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 01:58:20 -0500> To: cewcathar at hotmail.com> CC: ietf-languages at iana.org> Subject: Re: Proposed modified records for 'cpe' and 'son'> From: cowan at ccil.org> > CE Whitehead scripsit:> > > In any case, why is suppress-script not registered for any other> > collection codes? (There seem to be individual language subtags> > registered for some of the language included in these collections> > & these do have the suppress-script field--but what is the point> > of having these subtags--are they to be used with the individual> > language subtags? or alone? or both? if alone, is there any reason> > not to have a suppress-script when applicable other than expediency?> > Is there any recommendation not to have it?)> > We have collection subtags because ISO 639-2 does, and we have always> had them ever since RFC 3066. Their use is discouraged. Having a> Suppress-Script tag would amount to a claim that all the languages> of the collection share a common script, which is not likely to be> the case (some will usually be unwritten), nor easily proved,
Good point and I agree; the only way these should keep the suppress script is if we can ascertain that overwhelmingly the content when written is written in Latin script; the unwritten languages can be a problem.  My guess is that most often people who try to write these down will do so using a Roman alphabet ; if left audio then these can be tagged with a script code of 'Zxxx'.

And, in fact, many varieties/dialects of English are usually unwritten.

However, these English dialects still share the suppress-script of Latn; and my guess is that most French, Portuguese, and English Creoles if written will be written in the Latin script
(But some are registered:  Tok Pisin is, as is Haitian Creole; I can't find Guadaloupe Creole however . . . )> > -- > John Cowan cowan at ccil.org http://ccil.oJohn Cowan cowan at ccil.org http://ccil.org/~cowan