Persian vs Farsi (half-OT)

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Dec 6 05:40:31 CET 2008

Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh at htpassport dot com> wrote:

> Still, be prepared for the herd of people who do not like to see
> "Farsi" in English (if we can't get 639-3 to change it). I seem to be
> a proponent of "Persian", but believe me, I am mostly trying to fend
> off future loud protesters, of whom I'm a victim myself.

Oh, I'm not worried about the herd of protestors.  My response to them
is that we have a commitment to preserve the names defined by the ISO
and UN standards, save for minor typographical and stylistic editing.
We do not make our own partisan statements by changing a few of the ISO
names and keeping the rest.  That is not our job.

We have no obligation to add every imaginable alternative name, and
certainly not whimsical or pejorative names or straight translations of
the names into other languages.  But there are clearly some
English-speaking people who use the word "Farsi" in the names of these
two languages, with no ill intent, and anyone can tell what languages
they are talking about.

http://www.ewellic.org